Happy New Year, dear readers! Here is the fantastic list of Elementary/Middle Grade Speculative Fiction Finalists the other panelists and I put together. (Click through the link to read our beautifully crafted blurbs! It’s always hard to trim the list down to the required length, but I’m really proud of this list.
Here’s the list with links to my own reviews:
- Amari and the Night Brothers by B.B. Alston
- Cece Rios and the Desert of Souls by Kaela Rivera (and note that Flight of the Puffin, which I reviewed in the same post, was a Middle Grade finalist as well!)
- Kiki Kallira Breaks a Kingdom by Sangu Mandanna
- The Last Cuentista by Donna Barba Higuera
- Ophie’s Ghosts by Justina Ireland
- Too Bright to See by Kyle Lukoff
- The Troubled Girls of Dragomir Academy by Anne Ursu
And here are some of my favorites that didn’t make the list. There are a variety of different reasons – but all of these have stuck with me, and are ones I’ll recommend to people regardless.
- Anya and the Nightingale by Sofiya Pasternack
- Girl Giant and the Monkey King by Van Hoang
- The Insiders by Mark Oshiro
- The Last Fallen Star by Graci Kim
- Monsters of Rookhaven by Padraig Kenny. Illustrated by Edward Bettison
- Root Magic by Eden Royce
- Sisters of the Neversea by Cynthia Leitich Smith
- That Thing about Bollywood by Supriya Kelkar
Once I’ve read a couple of romance novels as a palate cleanser, I’ll go on to read the finalists in other categories. If you’re here, you might also enjoy some of my favorite other categories – Middle Grade Fiction, Graphic Novels, and Young Adult Speculative Fiction.
Have you or do you want to read any of these books? What’s next on your TBR?