Every year, as the Cybils nomination period draws to a close, I wait in anxious suspense, hoping that all of my favorites from the past year will be nominated – or at least, all but one, so that I can nominate that final title myself. Nominations close on October 15th, and so far there are many, many titles that are missing. These are just the ones I’ve read myself, but there are many other good ones that I would like to read and am still hoping will be nominated.
If you haven’t nominated anything yet yourself, read through this list (or look through your own reading list from the past year) and see what you might feel motivated to nominate. Remember, nominating a book doesn’t mean you think it’s the best book you’ve ever read or the very best to come out this year, but that it is a solid title that you think deserves to be given a read-through by the round 1 panelists.
Elementary/Middle Grade Speculative Fiction
Kiki Kallira Conquers a Curseby Sandu Mandanna
- Girl Giant and the Jade War by Van Hoang
- Second Sleep by Diane Stanley
- Pilar Ramirez and the Escape from Zafa by Julian Randall
- Velvet Fox by Catherine Fisher
- Lock-Eater by Zack Loran Clark
- It’s the End of the World and I’m in My Bathing Suit by Justin A. Reynolds
- Valentina Salazar is NOT a Monster Hunter by Zoraida Cordova
- Drifters by Kevin Emerson
- Zia Erases the World by Bree Barton
- Last Fallen Moon by Graci Kim
Castle of Tangled Magicsby Sophie Anderson
- Alliana, Girl of Dragons by Julie Abe
- Shelterlings by Sarah Beth Durst
- Riley’s Ghost by John David Anderson
- Shinji Takahashi and the Mark of the Coatl by Julie Kagawa
- Wildseed Witch by Marti Dumas
Onyeka and the Academy of the Sunby Tọlá Okogwu Nura and the Immortal Palaceby MT Khan
Middle Grade Fiction
- Other Side of the River by Alda P. Dobbs
Operation Sisterhoodby Olugbemisola Rhuday-Perkovich Maizy Chen’s Last Chanceby Lisa Yee Those Kids from Fawn Creekby Erin Entrada Kelly
There are more ideas over at the Cybils Idea Boards for these and all the other categories! Please go forth and nominate!
I’ve nominated Kiki – I was going to anyway but thanks for making it easy for me (showing it was eligible!) 🙂
Thank you, Valinora!!! I’m so happy to have Kiki join this year’s Cybils party again.
The link to your review of Those Kids from Fawn Creek is broken.
Thank you, Tony! It should be fixed now.